Are you disappointed with the condition of your smile? Cracked crowns, a poorly fitting partial, or just one missing tooth can impair anyone's oral function, facial structure, and self-image. That's why your Honolulu dentist, Dr. Garrett Hayashi, provides the best solution to a failing smile: dental implants! Implants fully restore smile aesthetics, as well as the abilities to bite, chew, and speak, all while raising confidence in your appearance. Plus, they maintain your jaw bone and gum tissue. Read on to learn more about these innovative tooth replacements!
What implants are and what they do
Your Honolulu dentist offers dental implants because they do more than simply fill smile gaps. Dental implants are actual artificial teeth from top to bottom. They are comprised of:
- A titanium metal root
- A metal alloy abutment post which extends above the gum line
- A customized porcelain crown
Our dentist also uses dental implants to secure fixed bridges and full dentures where tooth loss is more extensive. These lifelike appliances provide unparalleled stability as a patient eats and speaks.
Besides these wonderful benefits, dental implants do something no other prosthetic can. After insertion into the jaw, dental implants increase the strength and size of the bone. This process is called osseointegration, and it is exclusive to dental implants. As a new implant site heals, the bone wraps around the implant screw, creating a stable and permanent foundation for the new tooth.
While osseointegration does not happen overnight, it's totally worth waiting for. In fact, because of their bone-building properties, dental implants can last for a lifetime!
Caring for dental implants
Good oral hygiene is incredibly important to your natural teeth and gums, and it also has an impact on the longevity of dental implants. During treatment, your hygienist at Dr. Hayashi's Honolulu office will show you the particulars of brushing and flossing around your implants.
While implants cannot decay, they do fall prey to an infection called peri-implantitis. This destructive condition deteriorates gums and bone around implants if bacteria-filled plaque and tartar accumulate.
Also, tobacco smoke eats away at an implant's foundation, frequently leading to implant failure. In short, brush, floss, and stop smoking if you wish to keep both your natural teeth and your implants.
A great smile
Tooth loss is so unfortunate, but nowadays, dental implants can restore a damaged smile beautifully. If you desire a renewed smile, please call Dr. Garrett Hayashi for a detailed dental implant consultation. He'll evaluate your oral health and jaw bone density and tell you if these artificial teeth are right for your situation. Contact the office at (808) 536-5090.
Do you want to improve your smile but feel like you're too old to be wearing braces? Dr.Garrett Hayashi understands how you feel, which is why he offers Invisalign in his office.
More About Invisalign
Invisalign is composed of custom-made clear aligners that are made to fit your upper and lower teeth. The aligners function the same way traditional braces work, as in they apply pressure on each tooth so that it moves into its proper position. Your Honolulu dentist creates these custom aligners using a specialized computer software.
Invisalign's clear plastic aligners are flexible and great for if you need to straighten your teeth and don't want anyone to know you're wearing braces. Unlike traditional metal braces, Invisalign's trays are transparent, allowing you to discreetly straighten your smile.
For the treatment to work, though, you will need to keep them on for a minimum of 20 to 22 hours a day, however, you can take them off if you want to eat, brush your teeth or floss. Some people also like to take their clear aligners off for special events, but you should do this only sparingly
Advantages of Invisalign
There are several benefits to Invisalign. Here are a few:
- Comfort: Invisalign aligners are thin, flexible aligners that, unlike metal braces, don't irritate the soft tissue in your mouth.
- Hygienic: Because Invisalign is a removable appliance, you will be able to clean your teeth more thoroughly than if you had traditional metal braces. Make sure to brush your teeth twice a day and floss at least once.
- Lack of Dietary Limitations: Traditional braces prevent you from eating your favorite foods, like taffy apples or corn, but that's not an issue with Invisalign. You can eat whatever you want because the aligners you wear are removable.
- Discreet: Traditional metal braces can be distracting, especially if you're a teenager or an adult. Invisalign is transparent, so no one will notice if you have braces.
- Protection Against Teeth-Grinding: Clear aligners function as night guards that protect your teeth from excessive teeth grinding and clenching.
If you would like to schedule an appointment with Dr. Hayashi, call his office at (808) 536-5090 today!
CEREC stands for Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics. It's a dental technology that was first developed in the 1980s. It allows your dentist to create common dental restorations, including crowns, on the fly. It eliminates the need for patients to wait for up to a month between appointments to have their teeth restored. This option is available at Dr. Garrett Hayashi's dentist office in Honolulu, HI.
About CEREC Crowns
Before ceramic technology was developed, you would have been required to visit the dentist a minimum of two times in order to get a dental crown installed. Now you only need to commit to one appointment which will only last for about an hour. Impressions of your teeth are taken with CAD/CAM technology and immediately fed into a computerized milling machine. The machine etches out a perfectly contoured crown for your smile in a matter of minutes. Once it's ready, your dentist can bond it right away.
Advantages of CEREC Crowns
The obvious advantage of getting a CEREC restoration is that you get to save some time while also saving your tooth. There is no need to take additional days off from work or school to visit your Honolulu, HI, dentist since everything is taken care of in one visit. Another advantage is the accuracy of the milling machine. You are more likely to get a crown that fits perfectly the first time and that only requires minimal adjustments.
An Easy to Restore Your Smile
Many patients can benefit from having a crown installed, including those who have severely worn down enamel or cracked, chipped teeth. After root canal therapy, a crown can extend the life of a previously decaying tooth by 10 or more years with good dental care. CEREC provides you with an easy and quick way to have your damaged tooth restored.
Call for a CEREC Appointment
You can go to your dentist knowing that in just one sitting you'll have a perfect crown restoration by the time you leave thanks to CEREC technology. Contact Dr. Garrett Hayashi today by calling (808) 536-5090 to schedule a visit to his Honolulu, HI, office.
How Invisalign from your dentist in Honolulu can help you smile again
If you have rotated, poorly-aligned teeth, Invisalign can help. If you have stopped smiling because of a crooked smile, Invisalign can help. The truth is Invisalign can give you a straight smile quickly, comfortably, and discreetly. Dr. Garrett Hayashi in Honolulu, HI, wants to share the facts about Invisalign, the state-of-the-art way to a straight smile.
When you think of straightening your smile, do you think of brackets and wires? Do you think of wearing braces for years? Do you think of discomfort? If so, it’s time to think differently about orthodontic treatment. Invisalign is different for many reasons including:
- Rapid results, because Invisalign treatment takes only 9 to 15 months, compared to years with conventional brackets and wires
- Comfortable treatment, because Invisalign is made of smooth plastic with no sharp metal parts
- Cosmetic beauty, because Invisalign appliances are clear plastic which is virtually invisible to those around you
- Easy maintenance, because you can remove Invisalign appliances to brush and floss your teeth normally
- Satisfaction and good health, because you can eat the foods you want and love, without worrying about food getting caught in your braces
Invisalign treatment can still correct many of the same problems as conventional orthodontics, without the hassle of brackets and wires. These are some common problems which can be corrected with Invisalign:
- Underbite or overbite
- Open bite or crossbite
- Overlapped or crowded teeth
- Gapped or poorly-aligned teeth
Invisalign treatment starts out with a first set of appliances, called aligners. You wear the first set for 2 weeks, and then move on to another set, which you wear for another 2 weeks. You progress to a new set of aligners every 2 weeks as your teeth gradually and comfortably move into position. Treatment typically requires between 9 and 15 months.
If you want a straight smile more quickly, comfortably, and discreetly than you have ever thought possible, Invisalign can help. To get started, simply pick up the phone and call Dr. Hayashi in Honolulu, HI, today!
With all the information available on the Internet today, many people look up dental conditions and procedures prior to contacting their dentist. However, your Honolulu, HI, dentist, Dr. Garrett Hayashi, wants to make sure his patients have the correct information so they're making good decisions about their dental health. He explains the purpose of root canals here and lists some of the signs that can indicate you need one.
What is a root canal?
Many people express fear at the idea of getting a root canal but aren't entirely sure what they are. Dr. Hayashi explains to his patients that root canals are nothing to fear; they're not painful or damaging to your health. In fact, root canals actually remove the source of pain, which is caused by infected or damaged tissues inside the tooth. These tissues are cleaned out and replaced with a rubber material known as gutta percha; it's very strong and keeps the tooth stable. A crown, typically made from metal or porcelain, finishes off the procedure and keeps your tooth protected from any further damage.
What are some signs that I may need a root canal?
- Tooth sensitivity: Sensitivity is a common dental issue and happens when the enamel begins to weaken and the nerves within the dentin underneath become stimulated, often by hot or cold foods and drinks. It stands to reason that the weaker your enamel is, the more sensitive your teeth will be, which explains why a deep crack or severe decay can cause long-lasting sensitivity that can be very uncomfortable. A root canal from your Honolulu dentist fixes this symptom by removing the dentin and the rest of the structures inside the tooth.
- Pain: A sharp pain while biting down can be a clear indication that you've sustained a severe break in a tooth. That discomfort you're feeling while chewing is the outside of your tooth rubbing up against the inside and coming into contact with the nerves. Having a root canal will help to get you out of pain and restore normal function to your tooth.
- Abscess: If the inner tissues of one of your teeth have become infected, your body may try to rid itself of the bacteria by creating an open sore on the gums near the affected tooth. You may also experience swelling, pain, and a fever. It's important to contact your Honolulu dentist right away if you think you have a dental abscess.
If you think you need a root canal, or have further questions, contact Dr. Garrett Hayashi's dental office in Honolulu, HI, at (808) 536-5090 for an appointment today!
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.