Do your missing teeth cause you to feel embarrassed or self-conscious about your smile? If so, you could benefit from dental implants. This restoration dental procedure replaces not just your missing teeth, but their roots as well, filling in your gaps to give you a smile you can be proud of. Find out more about dental implants with Dr. Garrett T. Hayashi, DDS at A Bishop Street Dental in Honolulu, HI.
The Parts of a Dental Implant
Dental implants have three main parts which make up the entire tooth replacement itself. They include:
- Implant Fixture: This part of the implant rests inside of the jawbone beneath your missing tooth. Surgically implanted into the bone, the fixture integrates over time, becoming a permanent part of your smile. The fixture provides a study foundation for the replacement tooth and acts as a sort of “root” to hold it in place.
- Implant Abutment: The abutment connects the fixture to the prosthetic tooth and allows your dentist to make adjustments to the prosthetic.
- Prosthetic Tooth: Custom-made from tooth-colored porcelain, the prosthetic tooth replaces your missing tooth. It affixes to the abutment, which affixes to the fixture to complete the implant.
Types of Dental Implants in Honolulu, HI
Dental implants are versatile and can replace one or all of your teeth, depending on your situation.
- Single Tooth Replacement: Single tooth replacement uses one implant to replace one tooth. The implant lies within the missing tooth’s socket and the prosthetic tooth fills in your gap.
- Multiple Tooth Replacement: If you have several teeth missing in a row, multiple tooth replacement can use a dental bridge to replace them all at once. Instead of using a single implant for each tooth, one implant on either side of the bridge holds it in place, leaving the natural teeth intact.
- Implant-Supported Dentures: Reserved for patients missing all their teeth, implant-supported dentures replace all of the teeth on an arch using strategically placed implants throughout the mouth. The implants serve as anchor points, allowing the denture to snap into place.
Your dentist can help you determine the best course of treatment to replace your missing teeth. For more information on dental implants, please contact Dr. Garrett T. Hayashi, DDS at A Bishop Street Dental in Honolulu, HI. Call (808) 536-5090 to schedule your consultation for dental implants today!