Proper at-home oral care prevents a variety of problems, including tooth decay. At Dr. Garrett Hayashi's Honolulu, HI, office, your dentist at his team provides preventive care to strengthen your smile. However, you must do your part at home. It's so important to a long-lasting smile.
Hard and soft tissues need care
They make up your smile. Tooth enamel, gums, connective tissue, blood vessels, and nerves are your mouth's key structural components, and like any body part, they need care and maintenance regularly.
So, your Honolulu, HI, dentist provides a variety of in-office services--cleanings, examinations, X-rays, fluoride treatments and plastic sealants as examples. However, your teeth, gums, bone structure and other soft oral tissues require daily attention, too.
Don't worry. You know and do a lot of these important at-home habits already. However, you can improve on many of them, avoiding gum disease, tooth decay, dental pain--even oral cancer. A little effort every day will help you keep all your teeth for life.
Your best oral health routine
Here's how to do it:
- Eat healthily. Don't snack in-between meals. Cut the carbs, and increase the fiber. Drink water throughout the day.
- Brush twice a day--once in the morning and once before retiring at night. Brushing puts fluoride on your teeth and removes the cavity-causing bacteria which collect in plaque.
- Floss daily with whatever flossing product you like. Flossing removes most of what your toothbrush cannot. This practice decreases the incidence of periodontal disease, the number one cause of tooth loss in the US (according to the CDC).
- See Dr. Hayashi every six months for a check-up and professional cleaning (tooth scaling), and call him whenever you see or feel a problem in your mouth. Unresolved sores, dark tooth enamel and any degree of dental pain are abnormal and require your Honolulu dentist's attention.
- Wear a bite guard at night if you clench your teeth.
- Wear an acrylic mouthguard during sports (and make the kids wear theirs, too).
- Inspect your teeth and soft oral tissues.
- Limit alcohol. It sets the stage for gum disease and oral cancer, says the American Academy of Periodontology.
- Stop all smoking and chewing tobacco. They discolor your teeth, make your breath bad and cause oral cancer, tooth decay and periodontitis.
- Think about getting dental sealants (yes, adults can protect their teeth with these plastic coatings, too) and fluoride treatments to strengthen and protect your tooth enamel.
We're here for you
Dr. Garrett Hayashi and his team welcome patients of all ages to their Honolulu, HI, dental practice. They are passionate about preventive care and ask for your full participation in it. While our office is currently closed it's still important that you maintain a good oral care routine. If you are a patient and are dealing with a dental emergency call our office at (808) 536-5090.